So here's the secret: Carrots.
Let's make some Faux Real Mac-n-Chreese!
- 2 # Carrots, chopped
- 1 pkg Tofu (14oz)
- 1/2 C Almond Milk
- 1 T Mustard
- 2 T Salt
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 3/4 C Nutritional Yeast
- 1 pkg Macaroni (I like shells)
- 1/4 C Earth Balance Natural Spread (or margarine or oil)
The process is simple:
- In a medium pot, boil the chopped carrots until they're soft. I like to test the carrots by pressing one with the back of a fork; when the carrot collapses like a baked potato, they're done.
- Blend the tofu, almond milk, mustard, salt & garlic until smooth. Add the nutritional yeast to the blender after the rest of the ingredients are incorporated The smoother the tofu blend at the beginning, the better the overall outcome will be. I usually do this part while the carrots are boiling. This also gives the flavors time to meld.
**If at this point your Chreese is too thick, add almond milk obtain the desired consistency)
4. In a large skillet, melt the Earth Balance Natural Spread over medium low then add the Chreese sauce. Simmer until hot, stirring regularly.
5. Combine the Mac with Chreese & viola! Mac-n-Chreese!
How you serve your Mac-n-Chreese is up to you. I love a little black pepper with mine. I also LOVE basil; a chiffonade stirred into this recipe is a sure-to-please variation.
Tonight we shared it with Mixed Green Salad topped with Creamy Herb Tofu Dressing.